HE KNOWS

Monday, April 24, 2006


PREACHING CHRIST AND HIM ALONE

We spend time blogging about Calvinism and Arminianism. But do we spend the same time looking at the cross and what Jesus went though on the cross? And what does Calvinism or Arminianism have to do with the cross.

We must not let ourselves forget the fearful agony which Jesus went through: the bloody sweat; the three times he prayed to the Father for help; the betraying hurt of the traitor's kiss; the subsequent arrest by the temple guard; his appearance in shame and humiliation as a criminal before the high priests and before King Herod; the cruel mockery, and scornful contempt when he was dressed as a king and a crown of thorns placed upon his head; the scourging at the whipping post upon Pilate's command; the agony of the cross; the nails through his hands and feet; the spear through his side; and, above all, the terrible torment that drew from him the awful cries of anguish as his spirit endured shame and humiliation and the separation from the face of the Father that bearing the world's sin required him to pass through. Jesus saw the horror of the hell that was coming.

Now at the same time when He was on the cross it says in :Psa 22:12
Many bulls have compassed me: strong [bulls] of Bashan have beset me round.

It is a picture of the fallen angels around the cross laughing at Him.

What He did for us is so Great!

So I would like to lay it all down and ask who out there( in blog land) can tell me if I am save or not by if I'm Calvinist or a Arminian.


Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.


Paul says it the best

1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.



He preached a crucified Jesus in plain language, and told the people that that Jesus who was crucified at Jerusalem was the Son of God and Saviour of men, and that all who would be saved must repent of their sins, and believe in him, and submit to his government and laws. This truth needed no artificial dress; it shone out with the greatest majesty in its own light, and prevailed in the world by its divine authority, and the demonstration of the Spirit, without any human helps. The plain preaching of a crucified Jesus was more powerful than all the oratory and philosophy of the heathen world.

Are we here to judge or preach Christ?

We should be looking at ourselves and see if we are doing what Jesus said or are we doing what we want?

19 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Kc said...

Welcome back brother Doug! This is certainly a powerful return post and I really appreciate your heart on this.

For me the debate isn’t so much about Calvinism and I have many Calvinist brethren with who I totally agree concerning the means of justification and securing the gift of eternal life. We agree it is only by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ. We even agree that one day every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess Jesus is Lord and that to do so in this life is essential to the believer’s continued well being and pleasing service to God.

The real controversy enters in when we make submission a requirement for justification and the means for securing eternal life. While I know it is not the intent, in essence what this is saying is that something more than what God has accomplished through the offering of His own Son Jesus on the Cross is needed in order for us to be reconciled to Him and inherit the gift of eternal life. When we add this work of man as a condition for justification we add the error of the Arminian to the Gospel message.

I don’t make this or other doctrine a measure for fellowship and in no way will it diminish my love for my brother but it will remain a point for debate to me because of that love. ;-)

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

Good thoughts and questions.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger forgiven said...

Thanks kc
The cross is what will open our eyes to what we have missed. Not the debates ,not a blog that you have to scoll down forever to get to the bottom. It's His love that shows us the way to eternalty. God is the school master.
P.S
It's good to be back..Thank you my brother

Jonathan
Wonderful to see you too

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Yes, yes! Welcome back! Hope you had a blessed time.

You are singing my song in this post.

Calvinism, Arminianism,Calviminianism, Armvinism...I can quote verses supporting each view.

But I can quote a lot more that just tell us to trust Christ's finished work at Calvary.

kc: come by my blog and see the comment I left for you.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger forgiven said...

Hi Joe,

It is a blessing seeing you Joe too.
Had a Great time.
I know that you address this many times too.I don't know if we will ever get this on this earth.

Thank You Joe

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Rose~ said...

Hi Doug! Welcome back!
My blog helps me think some of these issues through and has taught me a lot about people and their views.
I also like to use the blog to post some simple, more edifying thoughts.
Everyone is different and I would hope that if someone's main point in blogging was to speak about controversial items, that this is not a way of life in the real world for them. I would guess it is not - but that the blog is a place to vent and hash etc...

Your blog is great!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger forgiven said...

Thanks Rose

I get what you mean , but I think we get off when we push a point all the time .
Thank you for your imput it is alway Great ...

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Good thoughts.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

'For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified'
(1 Corinthians 2:2).

Amen Brother, good to see you again!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger forgiven said...

Thank you DF and LLL
Always look forward to seeing you both.

Doug

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Great thoughts,Doug! Christ and Him crucified.

Doug, You and I have debated that issue for years, and sometimes fearsly. But, we both came to the conclusion together that preaching Christ and Him crucified is all that matters. Amen!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Great insight. Yes let's preach Christ and Him alone!!! And I pray that I would only do what Jesus said, not what what I want!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger forgiven said...

Thanks Mark

We have been talking about his and it is very important in my life . Sometimes I think that Satan gets us at each other and that alone disarms us for battle.

Hi Kitty
Thank you for stopping by Sis

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Oh I loved this post! So good. If He is lifted up, He will draw all men unto Him. He was lifted up on the cross and Paul the apostile said, I know nothing else, except Christ and Him crucified. Let's lift Him up for the world to see!

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger jel said...

Nice to meet you Doug, and I want to thank you for stoping by my blog!

as for your blog,
when you talk about Calvinism and
Arminianism, i don't know what you are taking about, since I have come to blog land I have heard a lot of talk about these word, but was to shy or backwards to ask,

but i do love to read and hear the story of jesus,
thank you for posting :)

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger forgiven said...

Thank you jel

Calvinism vs. Armenism

In short one believes you have free will (Armenism)to be saved

Calvinism do not believe we have free will( God made the chooses for us) to be saved
Thank you jel

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger jel said...

Thanks! :)

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger noel said...

I have a friend who believes in calvanism but has taken it way past salvation.And says that all his lifes choices have already been made for him. He only has the expierience of choosing and can only control his thoughts. He just got out of an affair with a woman and although he claims he is repentent he believes God choose this for him to go through. He was also abused as a child and believes it was Gods will for him to suffer.I guess my question is. Do all calvanisms believe this way? Or is it only supposed to be an issue of salvation?

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Bill McG said...

I would like to use the clipart of the crucifixion from April 24th 2006 on my website. Can you tell me where you found it.

Thanks,
Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home